Scavenger's Rights

A creative corner where writer Jessica Vivien explores the day's flotsam and jetsam.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gooseberry Hill, Western Australia, Australia

I live near Perth and write amongst magpies, ring-necked parrots and honey eaters. I write speculative fiction and have had stories published in Cat Sparks' anthology "Agog! Fantastic Fiction" and Bill Congreve's anthology "Passing Strange."

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Singing away the curses

About my dying computer. I seriously wonder if in some spooky way it's just me?
I like to think of myself as a rational and intelligent person, but some things just aren't rational.


Let me tell you about the weird effect I have on

electronic things. They re-adjust themselves, develop

alarms that I have never set and don't know how to

unset, break down in strange unexplicable ways.

I  had a toyota corolla car from 1990-4 that in 1993

started to kill things: animals and birds came diving

under my wheels every 2-3 months? In two years I hit a

pheasant, a hawk, a rabbit , a weasel,a large dog,

several small birds, etc. The rabbit came at me, I

swerved and braked and it leapt in underneath. I also

hit a man who stepped out into the road right in front

of me looking the other way, but I had managed to

brake hard first so he was clipped but not hurt and

apologetic for frightening me. I sold that car and

bought another old cheap car while still living in the

same place, living the same lifestyle, and hit nothing

in the following year.

Don't quite know what to make

of it. Was it a warning of the absolutely foul time that
 came next, when my life was in grave risk over several months?

Or was it makutu, Maori sorcery? A curse that I carry still?

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home